Thursday, June 18, 2009

The good news or the bad news

Yesterday morning, Petal told me what she had planned to say for her preschool 'news day'. She was going to share the joy of receiving a new Tinkerbell dress-up outfit. It's cute and sparkly - really sparkly. There is a button that sets off a rainbow of lights on the dress.

She also had one other piece of news she wanted to share.

Vomit.

"What exactly are you going to say about vomit?" I asked.

"Just vomit."

Okay, this was going to be a tricky one. I gently explained to her that maybe sticking with the Tinkerbell dress news would be a better idea. No. She wanted to add the vomit bit.

That afternoon, I asked how she went with her news. Her face dropped and her big, round eyes filled with tears.

"Mummy, everyone went 'eeeeewwwww'!"

"Oh dear, then what?"

"They all said, 'That's horrible news!'"

"Oh darling, what did you do?"

"I cried and sat on the teacher's knee."

"What did the teacher say?"

"She told all the kids, 'You've ruined her life!'"

I'm pretty certain that's not what the teacher said, but I'm equally sure it's exactly how Petal felt.

1 comment: