Friday, November 6, 2009

Fair enough

Petal's aunty from the UK popped over to visit us.

"Where do you live?" asked Petal.

"In London," explained her aunty.

"Like 'London Bridge is Falling Down'?" continued Petal.

"Yes, just like that. I sometimes travel over London Bridge."

Petal stopped in her tracks and looked at her aunty with great interest.

"Are you the fair lady?" Petal quizzed her.

Her aunty was a little surprised by this question.

"Um, er, I'd like to think so..." she uttered.

At this point I interrupted the conversation.

"Do you think she's the 'fairest of them all?'" I asked Petal, explaining to her aunty that we'd just been watching Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs.

Petal shook her head. "No, that's not what I mean."

Her aunty stepped in. "Have you seen 'My Fair Lady'?"

Petal looked at us both bemused. Then without any warning, she launched into singing:

"London Bridge in falling down, falling down, falling down,
London Bridge in falling down (she takes a deep breath)
MY FAIR LADY!"

Ah, of course.

No comments:

Post a Comment